CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Going at your own pace...

I love to go swimming! I love almost everything about it. But every time I go swimming I am faced with a question. Jump right in or go in at my own pace. It is a good question to ponder life with..

We had a pool growing up and my family were all jumper's. A little water on the back of the neck and we were set! I was safe, I was resilient and it was one of the very few endorphin rushes that I was happy to experience. Some would say that jumping right it in ALWAYS the way to go. "Just get it over with" is heard around water along with "hurry and dunk your head under that is the worst part" and "it's like ripping off a band aide, it only hurts for a minute". In fact we were such a family of jumper's that when anyone came over and tried to ease in... those tauntings were coming from us.

Funny enough over the years I have become an "ease your way in" kinda girl.

Easing into the water inching down, planning in my head how far up my next step into the deep will take me, sorting out just how quickly or how slowly I need to go to let the cold of the water ease into my body thus preventing shortness of breath, goosebumps and the anxiousness of being too cold too quick? In that moment I focus on the warm sun on my back and how it can camouflage the cold of the water rising over my thighs. It is enjoyable and relaxing. I smile and I laugh at the wave that takes me by surprise. I am safe and although not so resilient, still an occasional rush.

As someone who now goes at my own pace, I have learned a valuable thing. There is nothing, Nothing, NOTHING worse than being in my zone, easing myself in, and a "Jumper" coming along and trying to dunk you! As a former jumper I understand their point of view. Jumpers honestly think that it is fun, and for the best and that if they can help you get wet faster you can come and enjoy the fun! WRONG... Once the dreaded dunk has occurred, all that I want to do is RECOIL!

I guess I think that in life there are times to jump right in! Jump into that new job! Jump into the gym! Jump into reading scriptures, eating healthier, praying every day, and into being positive. But there are also times when it is OK to go at my own pace. When I need to feel safe, when my heart is out for others to see, when I have been burned before....

So please, If I tell you I am going at my own pace don't try to dunk me!

1 comments:

Michele Junior said...

I enjoyed this posting sooo much. I loved the use of words and expressions. I loved the visual image that you created with them. I enjoyed the memories that you drew forth for me. I LOVED the symbolism of jumping in. I especially enjoyed that it was so uplifting as compared to other blogs I read. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Great job. Keep them coming!