CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, May 1, 2010

ANTM

When I lived in Tucson before moving to New Zealand, I lied in my brothers guest house. Every Wednesday night His wife and I would meet in the living room of their home to watch America's Next Top Model. On this very special day of the week, we would plan what dinner we would be eating that night, waiting until her 4 rug rats went to bed. Usually it was a quick trip to Carls Jr. Nothing like eating a 3000 calorie meal while watching 100 lbs models fight it out.

The rest of the week was pretty hectic, but ANTM grew to be "our thing". We would laugh at the cat fights, judge the pictures and bet very early on who would make it til the end. I still occasionally watch ANTM, but Crystal isn't here and it isn't as fun. I miss her.

Every season on the show once the girls get down to 5 or 6 they travel to a fashion capitol of the world to finish the remaining shows. This season, they came to New Zealand!

Last Wednesday night, I watched on TV, the girls land in the airport I have seen to so many times. They drove on the motor way and showed Mangere Bridge where my in-laws live. Then they showed the Auckland skyline, the exact same view Eki and I see every day of our lives. The girls had a challenge right away, but when they were done and taken to their home I was SHOCKED to realize that they were driving them north of Auckland into North Shore where I live! They took the same exit that Eki and I take to go to the beach 10 minutes away from us. Then they pulled up to the tallest building in Takapuna, Where Eki and I had our first date and where we go often for a night time stroll past the shops. In the morning the girls woke up and looked out over MY OCEAN. They Squealed over how beautiful it was, and "not being able to believe that they were here" and "who knew that a place in the world even looked like this". The whole time the camera was showing My Home.

And in normal Darci fashion.... I bawled...

I miss my sister. I miss my family. I miss the States. BUT! I am so lucky to live here! My sister-in-law Crystal hasn't had a chance to come here. Yet, something about the TV show that her and I watched together, showing her my home made it feel like she was here.... I guess just that now she has a visual of where I walk, where I swim. It was strangely overwhelming to me. I felt grateful and laughed at the coincidence.

So thank you ANTM you were once again a highlight in my week!

1 comments:

Michele Junior said...

I so wanted to call you when I watched ANTM. Dad and I were so excited to see all the things that reminded us of our visit. It really is a beautiful place. When they went on their 'go sees' I wanted to see one of the little strip areas that we knew...but I'm guessing they were downtown. Oh well, it was so fun to watch. And, I thought of you. I think of you and Eki all the time...with love in my heart.