CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, May 14, 2010

Matai

Very soon after meeting Eki, I saw the tattoo peeping out of his sleeve with the word Matautia. Of course all I was concerned about was that this wasn't some girls name that he has foolishly branded himself with before meeting me. I was relieved to learn that this was his Matai name. Eki is an Ali'i, a chief level that is regarded high enough that if ever at a family meeting, others would speak and state their case, and Eki as the Ali'i would be asked to make final decisions. That was all that I understood at the time, and that was enough for me.

Last night Eki was asked twice what his Matai name was. Both times when he told, the men inquiring had the same reaction. Almost visible jaw dropage. This was one of the first times that the subject came up here in New Zealand outside of family events. The reaction was staggering. After we left our function we talked for a while about the Matai, the implications and our combined lack of knowledge.

Previously we have had a bit of the stance that our gospel culture comes first and doesn't leave much room for anything else. However, after last night, seeing the immediate respect and even being told "I view you in a different light now", we got thinking.... If this is something that these men understand, and Eki as a worthy priesthood holder can use it for the good..... Right away, I joked that maybe more people will come to events that Eki invites them too. Although I was joking, what if it is true?

My parents and Eki's parents were always VERY active in Church AND community. I guess last night we realized that we aren't kids anymore (a realization we had AFTER shaking our booty's on the dance floor like 16 year olds). Eki's dad wasn't around to be an even higher Matai than Eki last night. Eki was IT. Maybe it is time to fully understand what that means and the possible good that Eki and I can do because of it..

So today while we go to visit family in the south, we have an agenda, more information on the Matai.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I get quite embarrassed when I'm pulled up on how little I know about my own culture. Learning more and more since being back in New Zealand. :)

Anonymous said...

I've been waiting and waiting for another entry on your blog. I find these so uplifting and inspiring. Please continue to write...and more often...It is spiritual food for some of us. Love and kisses!